eat to live; live to work; work to sleep.
Garlic Flan (Serves 12) detroiteats.wordpress.com/
For caramel coating:
1 Bottle Beer
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups milk or cream
¼ cup garlic puree
1. In a shallow sauce pan place beer brown sugar and pearl onions
2. Reduce until very thick ( coats a spoon easily). Remove pearl onion.
3. Working one at a time, spoon the syrup into the ramekin and swirl the syrup around the edges until the inside of the ramekin has a firm thin coating. Place in the refrigerator or freezer.
4. Repeat until all the ramekins are coated.
5. Mix egg, garlic puree and milk (or cream) thoroughly. ( a hand mixer may help with this)
6. Pour into the coated ramekin until full.
7. Place ramekins in a baking dish or hotel pan
8. Fill baking dish or hotel pan with cool water until the water has risen halfway up the ramekin.
9. Bake in a 350F oven for 45 to 60 minutes or until firm. If the tops start to brown lower oven temperature slightly (25 degrees).
1. Run a thin knife around the edge of each ramekin.
2. Place serving plate over the top of the ramekin and invert.
Drizzle any additional syrup around the edge of the plate and garnish with minced chive
This is best served warm. If it cools completely it can be reheated in the microwave for 30 seconds. This will be enough to melt the caramel.